The leadership style of now and into the future is to be a coaching leader. This is not to say that other leadership styles are not necessary or still relevant. Coaching is a leadership skill that most do not learn or employee. Below are seven reasons you should be a coaching leader:
- Feedback – A coaching leader provides feedback on an as needed basis. They do not wait until the annual review. Constructive feedback is important to the development of employees. Feedback helps clarify expectations and builds the confidence of the employee.
- Potential – During the coaching process, an employee’s potential will come to light. A coaching leader will have a bird’s eye view of the employee’s future potential to the organization.
- Engagement – Detecting an employee’s level of engagement is important. Lack of engagement is a silent killer of many organizations. Also, coaching as a leadership style is an engaging style. If a leader is engaged with employees, this will build engagement for the employee.
- Accountability – Timely feedback builds a firm foundation of accountability. Your leadership success is rooted in your ability to create a culture of accountability. Most leaders fall short in their efforts to lead past the excuses. First, the leader’s expectations must be clear and communicated in a concise manner.
- Safety – Providing a safe space for employees to develop and grow is important. Creating an environment that allows employees to progress and grow will benefit your organization.
- Curiosity – Leaders do not have all the answers (See Answers Myth). Many problems can and should be solved with a curiosity of the open-ended question. This journey of curiosity will help you form a connection to your employee. Connection through curiosity will help build trust. An effective leader understands that they can glean more from a diverse team of talented employees than they can from only themselves. A coaching leader places their team’s input above their own self-interest.
- Future – Focusing on an employee’s professional development with coaching as a leadership style will have future benefits. You can help your employees build a picture of their desired future career goals. This allows them the opportunity to build backward toward their desired future position.
The coaching leadership style is an effective skill to learn and implement. Coaching leaders can be successful in organizations by improving performance or results. They will help employees advance their skills, build bench strength, and shape a connected culture.
If you are interested in becoming a coaching leader and growing your leadership competencies with executive/leadership coaching or learning about the Energy Leadership Index e-mail me at email@example.com. Also, place your thoughts in the comment section. Let me know what you think. Thank you in advance for your likes and sharing as it helps spread this message.