Though leaders come in many forms and from different organizational backgrounds, successful leaders need a toolbox of reliable skills. The below 7 competencies are not all-inclusive but are 7 that I find essential:
- Listening. Practice your listening skills as valued aptitude is often underrated. Because I recognize the importance of listening as a leadership competency, my Twitter handle is @listeningleader. Effective listening is an important quality for all leaders to practice and perfect. You can read Listening Leader on my recent (August 20, 2018) blog post.
- Empathy. Empathic leaders are action focused, not weak. Leading with empathy is about putting away our me-first instincts. When practiced, this skillset can be learned. Consider reading more about Empathetic Leadership from this recent (December 20, 2018) blog post.
- Authentic. Being an authentic leader is a valued commodity among followers. They nurture connected relationships with their followers. As author Bill George tells us, “authentic leaders have discovered their purpose, and they lead passionately with it.”
- Development. Successful leaders are lifelong learners. Build your leadership capacity as well as your team’s leadership aptitude. Expect this of yourself and those you lead.
- Encouragement. Encouraging leaders bring the best out in those they lead. John Maxwell says, “People go farther than they thought they could when someone else thinks they can.” When you use encouragement as a leader, it sets the standard for others to follow.
- Respect. Leaders show respect when they empower those they lead. When respect is implemented and demonstrated, it grows and multiplies.
- Service. These competencies describe servant leadership. As a philosophy, the main goal of the leader is to serve or give service. Robert Greenleaf coined the phrase “Servant Leader” in his 1970 essay, The Servant as Leader. Greenleaf said, “The servant-leader is servant first.” His thesis was “caring for persons, the more able and the less able serving each other is the rock upon which a good society is built.”
If you are interested in developing these 7 leadership competencies with executive/leadership coaching or learning about the Energy Leadership Index e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, place your thoughts in the comment section. Thank you in advance for your likes and sharing as it helps spread this message.